Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"I don't think you'll ever settle down"

I didn't know how to take the diss. My brother said this to me when I saw him during vacation last December. Might I add that I'd only met him once before, when I was 16.

"You just don't strike me as the person who will one day get married."

I looked at him, wide eyes, unsure of what to make of it. How the hell could he come up with this conclusion anyway? I was just ending my 25th year at the time, single, and found it flabbergasting that he could say such a thing, especially since we didn't even know one another. In all my years, I'd only spoken to him twice.

Some people tend to view us singles as lost causes. Where the hell did it become a necessity to be involved in a relationship? My cousin added to the sting by asking me "You're single, so you're alone."

"Excuse me? I'm single but not alone" I bluntly told her.

"What does that mean?" she said

"It means that I date, but am not interested in a relationship. I go out and have fun with different guys" I told her. I'm personally not ready to give that up yet.

Some don't seem to understand this "dating" concept- especially the ones who are in committed relationships, yet, my older relatives, aunts, uncles and cousins are supportive of my decisions, and I know why.

"Being with someone for the rest of your life gets.... tedious.... even boring- especially if you marry really young" said an uncle. "Sure you have that comfort with one person, but I miss the excitement of being able to try someone something new."

My non-single friends see it the same way "It must be fun to be single- you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and you never have to answer to anyone."


Hallelujah- hell to the YES!! I don't want to be trapped yet.

I don't know what I want in a guy, which is why I'm still looking and dating. I want to live life, I want to experience it with different people, is that so bad?

2 comments:

  1. People can be so obnoxious! You are definitely not alone - there are a lot of great blogs by happy singles. Ex: http://singlutionary.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your uncles right, I miss the excitement of a new relationship. I'm happy though!

    ReplyDelete