Monday, February 1, 2010

I lost my Job

In adulthood comes different obstacles and problems. This past Friday, I was faced with one of the major ones: I was let go from the company after working with them for two years.

The company had been doing very badly in recent months, and we didn't have any projects coming up until November. I had been mentally preparing myself for the layoff, and was actually surprised to have seen my employment follow into the new year.

Yet, regardless of the situation, I am doing very well; I am not stressed or nervous. I am very calm because my bosses have given me the opportunity to work 2 days a week with them while I find a permanent job elsewhere. That, and they have also agreed to continue paying my health insurance.

In the meantime, I'll be babysitting my sisters on the weekends for a few extra bucks, and looking for a new job online. I've already updated my resume during the weekend and sent it off to two job postings I came across on Craigslist. Sebastian helped me out with the update, and made me see that I had many more skills than I was aware of. His feedback truly made me feel better about myself.

I'm also looking at applying for a temporary job as a Census Taker for this year's Census. It offers a very attractive pay rate, and goes for 5 to 10 weeks; And they are really in need of bilingual people.

Luckily I have enough in savings to keep me afloat for awhile, but I also have to set a limit and be realistic in this whole job search. I hope I'm not out of a job for more than a month.

And yes, the gym is still a go!

2 comments:

  1. Bad news, but from the sound of it, it seems things could have been worse. Happy hunting...
    plentymorefishoutofwater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww man, sorry to hear about that. I'm sure you'll be fine, though.

    ReplyDelete