Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A scare!

As we were moving things up into my apartment this weekend, a sweet old lady offered to help Sebastian and I move my couch upstairs. It just made things worse. We were both scared that she would hurt herself and fall down the stairs, drop the couch on our heads, or worse- trip us up to fall to our untimely deaths each. She lives in the apartment below me. By the sound of it, she doesn't speak much English, but what we were able to understand was her name- Mrs. Brown.


With all the commotion we caused, my new neighbor across the "hall" came out to see who was making the noise. As soon as I saw her, I stopped dead in my tracks and quickly glanced out of the corner of my eye into Sebastian's direction. She looked just like his Japanese ex.


Damnit! Can't a girl catch a break??

I quickly introduced myself and Sebastian to her. Her name is Daphne and she goes to school close by. She was excited about having new neighbors. Turns out she'd just moved in about a month ago. I quickly excused myself after thanking Mrs. Brown for her help, and went back into my apartment.

"Daphne. Huh..... I haven't heard that name in a while" said Sebastian.

Oh great here it goes. He noticed her too.

"Yeah. It sounds like a prissy name" I shot back.

Don't get any ideas Sebastian!

A while later I recalled how excited she'd seemed to have new neighbors. Sebastian mentioned "Yeah, I think she was happy to have neighbors their own age."

"What do you mean their age? Who are you talking about?" I asked

"Well I saw a guy walking in the background; must be her boyfriend" he answered.

"Man, you've got a good eye. I didn't see anyone back there" I said.

Phew...... she's taken.

A while later, we left to go throw some trash away and saw her coming down the stairs. I flagged her down, but she didn't "see" me. I called out to her louder the second time and asked her if she knew where the dumpsters were.

"Uh I don't know. I just throw my trash in my car and toss it elsewhere" she answered as she continued down the stairs.

"Huh" I said to Sebastian. "Was it just me or did she seem a bit rude?" I asked him.

"Yeaaah. I know huh. Looks like you've got a bipolar asian for a neighbor" he added.

"Yeah, you must know. You married one" I concluded.

Ooooh, pwned

-----Later that day-----

We went to get lunch at Taco Bell before going back to my mom's house to pick up the rest of my boxes. This lunch period revolved around his ex wife and their marriage. He talked about her the entire time, saying how unhappy he'd been, and regretting ever marrying her though he did in fact love her.

Yeah, love blinds you. Completely.




It didn't bother me that he talked about her; I was mainly curious to know what had happened in their relationship, especially since he'd said she'd been very abusive and violent towards him for every little thing. People that are bipolar need help from a therapist- of which she was reluctant to see. Eventually, her unhappiness with him led her to leave him. I felt bad for his misfortune, but I think the only thing he could have done was to smack her around a bit and instill fear in her. Problem was, she didn't take him seriously or respect him at all. Their fights just got worse.


He talked about her so much, that as we were setting up my bathroom back in my apartment, he called me by her name. I didn't quite hear it at first, but when he said "Shit. I called you Jeannette," I just stared at him, and gave him a confused look. It didn't bother me much, and I knew why it had slipped out. "Wow. That's the first time I call you that. Gotta admit I did pretty well. It's because we've been talking about her so much today. Let's not talk about her ever again."

Well, that sounded like a splendid idea, except he mentioned her again the next day.
And the next.

I was soclose to achieving annihilation of the ex-wife.

Oh well, it's back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment